VMAGAZINE

 
 
Dolled up 50s
 

Vintage in the 60s
 

60s Twiggy
 

Rock 'n' Roll 70s
 
The Vignette
 
The published product!
 
The lovely Ina Evensen
 
 
I am calling this month of May, MY MONTH, I have worked strategically hard throughout my second semester of school and man oh man, am I wiped out! This year was the first semester where I was introduced to my Fashion Journalism minor of studies class. I remember it was the first week of class, and I was already boasting-to my inner self- about how exuberant I was to take the course. Each homework assignment would lead to a turned in assignment the following week, based upon that day’s module. Article’s after articles, documentaries after documentaries… and here is the best part, a reporter from the San Francisco Chronicle-Carolyne Zink-was invited as a guest speaker, to give us insight and advice about the life of a journalist! With all the editing, lectures, and note taking, I was mesmerized by how much I loved this course. Being that I was so attentive and involved, time flew right passed me! 15 weeks of school seemed like a walk around the park…alright…not quite, but you get my drift.

During the semester I was able to change my schedule and balance my time around work, school, and blogging. My instructor, whom I am truly grateful for, noticed my fashion frenzy and valued my aspiration to write. He opened capacious windows and introduced me to the right alliances. FashionSchoolDaily, and TheChicSpy, are two fashion publication websites that my Instructor recommended me to. Writing for these websites has lead me to experience the work of a correspondent and writing article pieces. Which consist of press access to fashion shows and events? That isn’t even the best part, getting to speak to important people like, a CEO or designer-Melissa Fleis from Project Runway Season 10-or director-of, Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf’s, Mathew Miele-is the BEST part. Honored is the word I use to explain how I feel, and the word fate, eh, idk about that one. I think the word fate lies correctly with only some scenarios in life. In a book I recently read, somewhere it says, “You realize if you believe in fate, then you’re sort of relinquishing control over your own life. If everything happens for a reason, then it’s like you really have nothing to do with where you are in your life-as if all your choices, actions, and decisions have nothing to do with your success. I’d like to the think that I am where I am because of me.” This blew me away because it seemed so logical at the time. This prognosis could be totally wrong, and is not open for controversy because everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. However, I know how hard I worked to achieve these assignments and built the credentials as a writer from my peers. I push, and I sacrifice, and yes sometimes I don’t sleep, but psht, what college student does?

Anyhow, this semester has been quick ass, and I ended it with a bang! As you can see from the pictures above-that I have not yet mentioned-was part of my final project assignment for my Fashion Journalism class. Ina, my dearest Norwegian friend, was my partner, and I loved every minute of it. I know she hates to admit that she enjoyed doing the project, because she doesn’t necessarily adorn fashion as much as I do. The project was to produce an online or print magazine publication. Without any slight thinking about what to base the magazine on, I had it! Since I became the echelon of the assignment, I decided that our magazine would focus on all things vintage and nostalgic! With affirmation from Ina, we both separated the work load and created VMAGAZINE! This also includes a video at Les Joulins Jazz Bistro (VMAGAZINE Vimeo Video) and an interview with, The Charles Unger Experience. The magazine turned out to be 20 plus pages, filled with interviews, one feature and two movie briefs. Everything pertained to a past time or era, hence we really wanted to stay true to our theme. I couldn’t have chosen a better partner then Ina, she is a study abroad student from Norway, and I met at her in my COM104 Broadcast Communications class. She has become one of my good friends at the Academy, and I am excited to announce that she will be staying for another semester in the fall. So we can save our goodbyes for later.

As you can read, I had a swell time this semester with my assignments and projects. I love my school, and with so much more to learn about the journalist and media world I can’t wait to maintain my momentum and build up speed for the opportunities to come.

One thing viewers, this is such a cliché thing to say, but… choose a career that you love, don’t settle for just anything. Put on your big girl pants or big boy pants and really focus on what it is you want to do in life. The next is easy, pursue it, have ambition and passion for what it is you yearn to be. In the end you will be most satisfied in yourself with the achievements you have accomplished, thus...will result in, “never working a day in your life.”

Ciao, Ciao xo